Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Day 2: Don’t Be Confused

Michael DiPlacido

At 4:44 PM, on the second day, I think: It’s not even 5:00 PM, and I’m thinking about dinner.  I pause, step back a moment, observe myself: I can’t say that I am really hungry; my stomach isn’t growling; I’m not experiencing any discomfort, but I’m thinking about food.  I will put off eating dinner until around 7:00 PM.  I think many Americans, those of us who do not experience food shortages on a daily basis, have too much to eat; or, maybe just eat too much.  In doing so, we always have a full (or over full) stomach.  Our stomachs are not used to emptying out; we are not used to not feeling full.  So, when we no longer feel full, we confuse this state for “being hungry”.  I need to be mindful of my real needs, and be more aware of why I am eating; why I feel “hungry”.  I must not confuse the need to eat with the desire to eat; nourishing with consuming.  At 7:10 PM, I sit down to my only meal of the day.  Calmly, I joyfully survey the plate of food.  I notice myself taking my time (compared to my normal dinners), eating slowly, seeing the food, tasting the food, and enjoying the food more than usual.   I am thankful for this opportunity to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment