Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 3: Less Is More

Michael DiPlacido

My single meal of the day becomes special by virtue of its uniqueness. A modicum of food served daily at 7:00 PM. Compared to my usual diet of continuous “foraging” from awakening to retiring, my Food Stamp Challenge meal is a mere pittance. Yet, it has so much more character than my normal fare. In the Jewish tradition, the Rabbis liken the dinner table to the altar in the Temple, and the food we eat to the offerings made to G-d. The singular nature of my meal has turned the act of eating into a well-defined moment in time, and, as such, elevates it from the level of the mundane to something special. I experience heightened awareness, appreciation, and fulfillment. I can’t help but be reminded of the Torah’s injunction: You shall eat, be satisfied, and bless G-d for the good earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment