Monday, November 12, 2012

This one time

Lenna Tasley-Broome

Hi Food Stamp teamers,

When we have and inherently know we have - then doing without comes to a choice of 'this one time', 'I have this everyday and really love it or need it' and most importantly we can cheat a little. Food Stamp citizens similarly navigate this quandry - resulting in going without - having to just go without. I'm in a place and time in my life where finances aren't as robust - and need to budget - but still I have wiggle room and my mom. It's only me and my pooch and $4.50 a day - yipes. No Panera salad, I guess cause it's simpler than cooking - which I didn't do much since being in food industry many years and my beloved never expected from me. No children either a money credit - an emotional debit. 

Yesterday had the Panera salad - 2nite will have frozen veggies, tuna with stewed tomatoes - ya know one of those meals only you'd eat. I eat dinner only - have a food/weight schtick - so that's a savings. 

We'll see - the blogs were great - so heartfelt - like being right there with some of you.  Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I am not on food stamps, but find it both possible and healthy to eat on less than $4.50 a day. The contributing factors? I have a fully equipped kitchen, which many people on food stamps do not have. I am vegetarian, so eat no meat. I am trying to lose weight, so a reduction in calories is a good thing. I have time to cook. People who must work two jobs in order to survive do not have that luxury. I have a large vegetable garden as well as a freezer that allows me to stock up on produce from the garden. My freezer is full of frozen vegetables, and I have dozens of jars of tomatoes, beans, beets, jams, pickles, and sauces in my cellar, all from my garden. I make my own bread and pasta.

    Yes, a person could eat fairly well on food stamps. But almost none have the resources that would allow them to do so. Many have no functional kitchen, no refrigerator, no microwave, no time. And that is a big part of the problem.

    ReplyDelete